Sunday, September 12, 2010

More Fishing at Roy Pond

I went to practice my roll casting and do some fishing. It just so happened that I setup next to a guy named Dale who is a fly fishing instructor on Hill AFB. He gave me some pointers and I ended up catching two 10" rainbow trout. He had several observations for me:
1) I need to set the hook more gently. I had about 20 strikes but I'm a long time bass fisherman, I really set the hook.
2) My roll casting technique is fine. Dale seems to think that its probably my rod.
3) I need to fish more. :)
The fly I was using was a simple green leech pattern on a #10 hook beneath a thingamabobber. The fly was set between 18 inches and 2 feet deep. I just cast it out and let it set when the bobber went under you set the hook.
Dale's setup was different than mine. He had a very short leader, maybe a total of 3 feet that he makes himself. To the leader he attaches a single brass swivel and to that the tippet. Worked great, I can't wait to try it at Camp Kiesel.
I was also invited to teach Plant and Animal identification at Camp Aspen Ridge in Idaho on the 8th and 9th of October. There is a huge lake on the Camp that is full of brown trout, sounds like a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment